Thursday, March 19, 2015

Days 19-23 - More shopping and nicer mall

We were able to secure some snorkels and masks at the Speedo store in another huge and a little nicer mall a bit further down the road in Angeles City.  It's three floors and had more water-based stores so I was also able to find a cute sun hat and Chris bought himself a nice Oakley rash guard for the next time he goes surfing.  I was also able to get a (much cheaper) rash guard at the SM mall dept store later in the week as well as some shoes that are actually in my size (NO swim suit shorts I've come across fit my booty in the least!  They may say size 30 (I wear about a 29 in jeans) and they may fit my waist but dear lord I must have the largest bass around, because that ain't happening, and same for feet because I was downright lucky to find a pair of cheap but nice flip-flops in size 9.)  Alas, I was able to procure such items and below are a few photos of other things I've come across.  
The ashtrays are for you, YouKnowWho, and the shoes, OMG the shoes that are SO SAILOR MOON themed!!  I am THISCLOSE to buying them (just $30!)  Buuut, they may not have them in my size...  Chris2 had the same problem buying Chucks at the SM store.  They didn't have anything above a size 9 for guys.

 The money here is more artful and colorful, but this was the first time I've seen guns on paper money before.  I feel they are less afraid of their history than us Americans, and this was also proven when we visited a memorial that I'll post about soon.
 Lastly, my Chris took Chris2 to the airport after we all went out with him to Walking Street one more time.  Though we have continued the tradition of having drinks with friends on the roof.  Caroline is here for one year and it about halfway through, and two others guys just got here to stay for 6 months.  We've been having a ton of fun together experienceing the craziness that the Philippines has to offer.

And this drink in particular we are saving for a special occasion.

Here you are looking at a 1970 bottle of bordeaux, which Chris bought at the local wine shop (open on Sundays!!)  It's quite an impressive collection of very old wines and ports.  I've never seen a collection like it.  They do have 'cheap' wines like Barefoot, but here in the Philippines they run about $15-20 a bottle so not so cheap.  We've found some good wine for about 240P in the SM though, so it's not too bad.  The wine you see above however, was about $100 and would easily be twice that much at a nice wine store in the US, so we splurged and are waiting for all the sediment to fall (the old wines have been stored properly at the wine shop; the right temperature and angle) and we are super curious to see how it tastes.  They also tempted us with a 100+ year old port, but the price was too much on that one, so we passed.  They said people buy it and never drink it, so they can just show it off to all their friends.  lol  We're more about drinking and enjoying the wine, so no thanks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment